Friday, January 05, 2007

"25 years of Indian Renaissance"

This is the title of the dec 31st 2006 edition of 'The Week' : a "silver jubilee special double" as the cover proclaimed. Sounded a bit too corny for my taste, but was bored waiting for my dinner at Casapicolla so gave it a shot.
I must say, I was pleasently surprised at the edition.
It attempts to document the progress of India in the past 25 years through articles by and about luminaries in various fields and chronicles the progress made.

It is a very good read - some of the essays are heart warming.
It is an apt answer to the tirade I hear from my friends & relatives about the lack of progress made in India (esp from the one holed up in Amsterdam :-P).

Disclaimer : I do not work and am not associated with The Week in anyway - other than as a occasional reader.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kousik said...

When all of us agree we could have done _much_ better, I am pleased that at least we are moving into positive direction, though slowly. Imagine the progress we could have made sans corruption/religious issues/bad politics/terrorism ...

1/05/2007 05:46:00 PM  
Blogger Mridul said...

Very true - I would love it if the progress was faster : what atleast it is going at a nontrivial rate forward !

1/07/2007 11:23:00 PM  
Blogger V said...

All magazines come up with this kind of editions in the end of every year. We should have monthly review of the progress.

1/08/2007 01:00:00 AM  
Blogger Mridul said...

25 years is good enough period to review and evaluate the change in the society (remember 5 year plans ?).
Some mags and newspapers do this sort of review ... but it rarely is as exhaustive as this edition - ofcourse, there might be fields the issue has missed.
But I particularly liked about the edition was not only what was done, but who where doing it and how it was presented.

1/08/2007 02:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home